CalPERS has been informed about a recent data breach at one of their third-party vendors, PBI Research Services (PBI). We are sharing information provided by CalPERS as a service to our members. It is important to note that Huntington Beach Credit Union was not involved in this breach.
According to CalPERS, the compromised information included full name, date of birth, and Social Security number.
What you should do now
CalPERS has set up this dedicated page to keep you informed and to answer questions. Bookmark this page to stay updated.
CalPERS is offering its members 24-months of free membership to Experian's IdentityWorks. A letter detailing these services was recently mailed to impacted retirees or their survivors with instructions on how to enroll.
It's important to always stay vigilant in monitoring your credit reports and personal information. Some tips:
- Consider placing a fraud alert or security freeze with credit bureaus.
- Use Mobile and Online Banking to set up account alerts for actions like a check clearing, withdrawals, and account balance alerts.
- Review your credit reports regularly. You are entitled to one free copy from each of the three major consumer reporting companies.
- Don't click on email or text links from a sender you don't know. If you are not 100% sure of who sent you something or have any doubts, DO NOT click on it.
- Do not take social media quizzes. They generally are scams looking to collect your personal information based on responses you give